Tuesday, August 2, 2011

For every season- turn, turn, turn

There is a series of movies that I absolutely love called the "Love Comes Softly" series. It's based on the books by Jannette Oke (I think that's the correct spelling). I'm in the middle of watching the first movie of the series right now and I've forgotten how much I love this movie in particular. This is the plot that's on the back of the box: "Based on the Janette Oke's best selling book series, and directed by Michael Landon, Jr., Love Comes Softly is an inspired storytelling for the whole family. Marty and Aaron Clardge (Katerine Heigl and Olver Macready) travel waest in search of a new opportunity. But when tragety strikes and Marty is suddenly widowed, the young woman must face the rugged terain, bleak weather, and live among strangers- alone. That is, until a handsome widower named Clark Davis (Dale Midkiff) suggets a platonic "marriage of convenience" until Marty can return home. As the months pass, though, Marty and Clark discover an unexpected new love where there was once only loss."

I love this movie partly because it's written by a 'christian' author and it's a good wholesome movie. I also love it because of the seasons and the time period it was written in. Maybe that's the whole history part of me. I don't know. It takes place during the time of Western expansion (kinda like Little House on the Prairie). I just love that time period, and I would go back to that time if I ever had the chance. I also love this movie in the series in particular because of the theme that runs through it. It's a beautiful theme (it's been made into songs and is quoted ALL the time), but also a ery sobering and almost scary theme if you really think about it. It can also be found in the book of Ecclesiastes. This is how it reads:

"For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die; a time to plant and a time to pluck up what is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep and a time to laugh; a time to mourn and a time to dance; a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; a time to tear, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; a time to love, and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

If you haven't figured that out, it's from Ecclesiastes 3:1-8. When I think about this, I see that we all have hope. I also see that even through the bad times, God works through them for a greater good/better outcome (eventhough He doesn't cause the bad things to happen). I love this movie and this scripture because it helps remind me that there is a time for everything. I think that's why I love spring and fall so much. It shows that there is a time for things to grow and bloom, but also there is a time to rebuid and for everything to recoup after the harvest. I just love it all!! That's just what's on my mind as of most lately.

No comments: